Justice After Decades: The Arrest in the 1985 Murder of Tonya McKinley

Justice After Decades: The Arrest in the 1985 Murder of Tonya McKinley

The following blog post contains details of a violent crime. Reader discretion is advised.

In the early hours of January 1, 1985, the city of Pensacola was marred by a heinous crime that left 23-year-old Tonya Ethridge McKinley lifeless. With an 18-month-old son eagerly awaiting her return, Tonya's life was brutally cut short, igniting a decades-long pursuit of justice.

Tonya was last seen alive around 1:30 a.m. at Darryl’s Bar & Grille in Pensacola. The dawn of New Year’s Day brought a grisly discovery: her half-nude body was found in an empty lot at the corner of Peacock Drive and Creighton Road. Strangled to death and sexually assaulted, Tonya's murder would cast a dark shadow over the community for 35 years.

In a surprising turn of events, the Pensacola Police Department made a significant arrest in the case. Daniel Leonard Wells, 57, faced charges of first-degree murder and first-degree sexual battery. The breakthrough came through cutting-edge DNA analysis by Parabon NanoLabs, tracing familial connections and leading investigators to Wells.

Capt. Chuck Mallett, who led the investigation, remarked that this case spanned three generations of detectives. Their unwavering commitment and collaboration with Parabon NanoLabs marked a watershed moment in cold-case resolution. It was a testament to their dedication that, after 35 years, they never gave up on finding justice for Tonya.

The arrest report revealed the groundbreaking use of familial DNA, a technique that had been employed successfully in other high-profile cases. The method involved running a DNA sample through an open-source genealogy database, identifying distant relatives of the suspect. This trail eventually led to Wells, and his connection to the crime scene was confirmed through meticulous surveillance and DNA testing.

As the Pensacola community anticipated a trial, tragedy struck once again. Daniel Leonard Wells, the defendant charged in Tonya McKinley's death, was found dead in his cell at the Escambia County Jail. The apparent self-inflicted injury marked a somber end to a case that had endured decades of uncertainty.

Tonya McKinley's family, including her son, Tim Davidson Jr., expressed mixed emotions. While the arrest brought a sense of closure, Wells's untimely death left them with more unanswered questions. The family had waited patiently for justice, only to be met with an unexpected conclusion.

Renee Ethridge, Tonya's older sister, has diligently kept her memory alive through the "Tonya Ethridge McKinley Memorial" page on Facebook, fostering hope and seeking justice.

The 1985 case of Tonya McKinley, marked by tragedy, breakthroughs, and an unforeseen end, stands as a poignant reminder of the complexities of the pursuit of justice. As the Pensacola community reflects on this chapter, they remember Tonya's resilience, her enduring legacy, and the enduring need for compassion in the face of such darkness.

Back to blog